Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spin me right round

So I got suckered into this, I have to admit this. I was so sure that I was a total screw up, when it comes to the field of spinning. I had the urge about two years ago, so I built a little homemade spindle and got some fiber off of Ebay and off I went. I think I got the hang of it, but once I had a couple of balls of single done I was stuck. Now what? I wasn't to crazy about the whole concept of plying and setting a twist and heck knows what else is involved in the whole spinning action. So my little spindle and the rest of the rowing went into a bag into a box and mostly forgotten. Last weekend members of our local knitting group got together for a afternoon of spinning. Hey, I tried it, I didn't go crazy over it, but without anything better to do that day, I went to join the ladies (and gent) for the afternoon. As proof of my failure I brought along my stuff just to find out how badly I really suck at this. Well, everybody was amazed on how good I did (including myself) and instead of an afternoon of watching them turn fuzzies into yarn and me knitting, I ended up spinning up the rest of my roving and turning it into nice little skeins.
I still don't know what to do with it, but I ended up with 5 ounces of singles. I guess I could knit a hat out of it? Don't know yet. Worst case scenario I can always felt it, right? Like a good supplier Luna didn't let us walk out of her place without a little more fuzzy stuff, to keep us hooked. Reminds me of a dealer in some way. First she gives us a taste, so we'll have to come back for more. And she has more, trust me. After all she has her own sheep to supply her with the means to her addiction. The funny thing is, and I kid you not, she has a sheep with the same name as me, even spelled the same way. How odd is that!
Ok, enough said about the way I spent my weekend. I also have a FO to report. This is the boy's V-neck vest made from Crofter DK I was working on for RoLynn's store. This is the second project I've finished for them. One more to go and I can show my face there again and walk into her place, baring gift :) Makes me feel like I'm one of the three kings.
Now the next picture is what I treated myself with after a long time of arguing with myself. After all, I do need it and there is almost not a day that I don't have those needles in my hand, it's work related, it's a necessity and all of those above reason justified me ordering this set of pretty, pretty KP Harmony needle tips. Hmmm, gotta love them.
Too bad that even as a test knitter, I had to pay the regular price for it, but I think I'm worth it. Don't you? I'll surely enjoy them.
Now off to some more knitting and casting on something else. :) Have a nice and hopefully sunny day of knitting.

8 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Sigrun said...

So did this experience help you to warm up to spinning? I've been thinking about trying to spin, but I'm afraid I won't be good at it. (I've learned that about myself--I usually only try new things that I'm sure I can master quickly--I hate fumbling and practicing). i love those needles, butI have all my own needles, plus inherited ones from 3 generations of women before me. They fill an under-bed storage bin.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Just as an FYI - since you knit professionally, those needles (and any classes/books/subscriptions/supplies) are tax deductible! They're things that you need for your job - just like tools for a construction worker! :-)
Kim

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger momsue84 said...

You sure are worth those needles!! Worth every one. KP should have given you a discount. I love mine.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Monika said...

For your first try this turned out pretty amazing!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

you're definitely worth some new needles... and your spinning looks great

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Carrie K said...

All we get is sunny. Bah.

Spinning is addictive. I forgot to learn the art of hooking the roving to the spindle. A hat would be cute!

Your KP baby ensemble is so darling! I always wonder what's "yours" in the catalog when I go through it.

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for making yarn! And yes. You're totally worth those new needles. :-)

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Yarnhog said...

I dearly love my Harmony needles, although I use my Options more often (I like that slippery nickel finish).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home