Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ice Rain = Power Outage



We had some freaky weather here since yesterday here in Kentucky. Last night we were informed that we were going to have a snow day because of the expected weather and it hadn't even started yet at that point. Over night we had some snow, which turned into rain, which froze and turned the streets into ice. I didn't even go outside with the dogs, because just taking them out the front door made me feel like they are sled dogs and I'll be pulled all over the place. What a nice day to stay indoors and knit all day. :) Just before dark we went outside to get at least the driveway free of ice. I know I'll be paying for it tomorrow when I'll be hurting all over because of it. But there is enough pain killer in my house to numb the pain, because not even that will keep me from knitting.




Right when were done and wanted to start cooking dinner the power went out and we were left in the dark - literally. The worst part about it was not that is was slowly starting to cool down in the house, but it was too dark for me to knit on this.




This is my new project I started today. It's the beginning of the Nordic Mittens from the Winter 2004 of Interweave Knits. My son's teacher was so amazed about his mittens I knit for him last winter that I decided to make her her very own pair. What can I say, he talked me into it and he really likes his teacher. I'm using some Regia sock yarn I had in my stash and Knit Picks Essential in black. I think the color contrast will be great and thanks to the self striping yarn I won't have to weave in any of those pesky tails.




I also felted the blue mittens today. I think they turned out great for a first intentional felting project. They aren't completely dry yet, so I don't have any model pictures for you yet. I just wish the cables would still be more visible. I can still see a hint of it, but not as much as I was hoping for. Hey, at least they are going to be comfy and warm and that's all that counts.

11 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it doesn't get too cold in your house! But too bad about not having light to knit those mittens, they're really spectacular looking.

Sled dogs, lol. Not without a sled!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

WE haven't had a real spectacular ice storm here for several years, but we've certainly had our share of snow. I got lucky, the week it was REALLY bad (three systems back to back) I was off work because of my back. I was definitely not lucky because my back landed me in the hospital, but at least I had an excuse not to shovel, and didn't have to try to drive back and forth to work.
I think your mitts are going to be stunning.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Wow! Those mittens are going to be gorgeous! That teacher will be so grateful. Hope your power is back on (or else you wouldn't be posting, I guess), and that you're staying warm. You're certainly not in Georgia anymore, right?

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Monika said...

It's snowing here right now, thank god no ice rain! Your new mittens look wonderful already!
That reminds me, I'm running out of pain killers, need to get more!

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids are home from school today here in MA due to snow too!
Your Nordic Mittens are already gorgeous with that beautiful corrugated ribbing!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I just love the combination you're using for those mittens! Very good choice.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

Nothing like letting the yarn do the work for ya! Awesome.

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogger ate my comment. :-( Just wanted to say your mittens are awesome and I'm jealous of your colorwork skills.

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice!
Don't I remember power outages while we lived in the US! And they weren't due to ice rain as we lived in CA.

Best
Petra

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you all have power by now...on the news, they were saying some people could be without it for weeks, which is crazy.

The mittens are beautiful!! I'm sure they'll be loved.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Verona said...

I just came back from Bavaria. We also had cold weather, rain, ice and snow. But we had electricity... Hope you get the power back on soon.
I also visited Karin in Kruetzberg...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home