Monday, June 25, 2007

Mystery Stole 3 Swatch

I guess I have to swatch my yarn for the mystery stole to get a feel for it and an idea how it looks like. I ordered the Grignasco Merino/Silk from the Woodland Woolworks in natural white, which has a yardage of 1533 y/3.52 oz or 1.400 m/100 g. I was so sure I could use my size 5 needles, but that was a wrong thought. Way to big. Now I tried the 3 mm needles I used for my kimono shawls and this is the result.

What do you think. This is the 35 stitch swatch which gives me a good 5.5 inches in width. Now, if the whole stole doesn't have more that 99 stitches, I'll end up with roughly a 16 inch stole instead of a 22 inch. Hmm, well I'm afraid if I use bigger needles than that it'll look very holey so 16 inches it is. Also, I put in some beads I found. They are size 8/0, as requested and the bottom row is in crystal, which has a rainbow sheen to it and the top ones are in ice, which is pretty much clear. Unfortunately the picture doesn't show much of a difference, if you can even see the beads at all.
Now, what do you think? I guess I'll leave it like this.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Emily said...

My swatch was also only 5 inches or so, with moderately vigorous blocking. You'll probably get more than 16" in the actual stole. Remember that more lace will stretch more, so 99 stitches will probably end up wider than we're expecting based on the swatch, if that makes sense. I'm hoping for around 18" for mine, but we'll see. This is my first lace with laceweight yarn so I really don't know what to expect!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

I think it looks very nice and you might be suprised. At 120% of your stitches per inch and a little agressive blocking you might come closer to 18" which isn't bad.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Sue J. said...

Oh so beautiful! I agree about the needle size. The ones you are using are just perfect

 
At 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good! I decided to do mine in Merinosilk as well, but the yarn just feels too thin for me, so I think I'll double it and use a slightly bigger needle.

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Maggan said...

It looks good!! I am going to knit in Grignasco too and I´ve tried sizes 3,5 3 and 2,5 and 3 was the best I thought.... So it´ll be soo ;)
I´ll post pictures of my swatch later today on my blog.

 
At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't a clue how lace should be but it looks very pretty to me. I'll leave it up to the experts to tell you whether to continue or not.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger stitchin' girl said...

I think it looks great as is. You can definitely see the differences between the YO's and the solid sections. Nice airy, lacey piece.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Oranssi said...

I am using the same yarn and loving it already. I am thinking of using 3,5 mm needles. You can look at my swatches in my blog.

I measured the swathes, but after trying to stretch them in my hands, I am convinced that I could block them quite a bit wider if I wanted. I am not going for two strands.

Nice to see someone use the same yarn so far away from me. If you look at the database, you'll see that a few of us Finns are using MerinoSilk.

Hanna from Finland (blogging as Rouva Oranssi = Mrs Orange)

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks very nice with the 3mm, Angelika. I keep changing my mind about my stole plans. 1st I was going to use Zephyr in indigo, but I was just notified they ran out and wouldn't have anymore until next week (too late for me - I need to start on Friday or I'll have no chance of keeping up) Now I'm thinking of using stash Knitpicks shadow in jewel - a little light in color, but it is sitting right here and available - I think I'm ditching the beads, but may change my mind....decisions, decisions!

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks good, I like the color you chose - however I'm going to be persnickety and say that I think it's a little too open and you might want to go down a bit in needle size. Your call though, it's your shawl ;)

I just gave in and ordered the cone of zephyr, much easier that way. =)

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't see the difference in the color of the beads, but I think keeping your current gauge is a good idea. Going up a needle size would probably make it too holey. I agree with the other commenters that the full stole will probably block out larger than you think. I'll be interested in your progress!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home