Monday, September 01, 2008

Knitter interrupted

I wanted to make sure you know I'm still knitting. It's not my greatest or most complicated accomplishment, but it's what's been keeping me busy for 2 weeks. Here are some pictures of the baby blanket I made, since my stuff got packed.


I posted it on Ravelry, but didn't do so on my blog for all of those, that don't have Ravelry or don't check on their friends activities there. Anyway, I think it turned out rather nicely. It's made from Rhonda White's dishcloth patterns and I just put them all together in a blanket. Without having all my "tools" or my stash yarn available, I had to make do with what I could find at my local Walmart. I used one skein of each of Caron's Simply Soft in Light Yellow, Light Blue, Pink, Light Green and Orchid. I also had to buy a pair of Boye size 8 (5mm) 14 " needles to get me started. They were too long for my taste, but they worked out ok. I can't tell you exactly the finished size of this blanket, but it covers half of a queen size bed. I think this qualifies it more for a throw than for a small baby blanket. Any infant would get lost in it for sure.
I also got commissioned to knit a baby cardigan. You can find the free pattern here. I'm knitting it with Bernat Softee Baby Yarn (I know, more acrylic) and had to invest in another pair of Boye needles, this time a size 6 29" cable. I'm not completely happy with them, but they will do for now. Of course I could have ordered some more Harmony needles from Knit Picks, but you know how it is, if you don't want to have to wait, even though nowadays it's cheaper to pay for shipping charges than to drive to the next yarn store and pay for gas.
Speaking of local yarn stores. I visited the Knit Nook in Louisville, KY. I love this little yarn store and my husband appreciated the coffee shop next door and the comfy couches to sit on while he had to wait for me to be done with my exploration. It's not right around the corner from me and without my GPS I might not find my way back there, but it's definitely worth stopping by there whenever my husband has to visit his favorite motorcycle store, just a few blocks away.
Well, that's it for me so far for now. Keep your needles crossed that I will get a permanent address by next week. My husband has to go off to school and it'll be up to me to open most of the boxes to set up the house, so I might not be blogging for a while again. As long as I get it before he leaves, I'll be fine. It's going to be like early christmas, opening all those boxes. Yes, I know, I say that now, until I get fed up with it and don't want to see another box again. Right now, all I want is my stuff. I'm sure you can understand that. I've been without my stash for over a month now. Whhaaaa :(

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Yarnhog said...

That is a really lovely project, especially considering what you had to work with. I'll bet it would make a terrific floor blanket for a pre-crawling infant.

Here's hoping you get your new address--and your stash!--soon.

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blanket is so cute! You're giving me flashbacks of the last move in. Paper piled up past my waist that I had to wade through to move between rooms. Ugh! I hope you get that permanent address soon though. :-)

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

I Lovvvvvvvvve the blanket.

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blanket is so cute! I love the alphabet blocks.

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous blanket! That's one lucky baby.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Verona said...

I have to agree with your readers. The balnky came out great, every mom would be happy to have one like it.

Wishing you good luck with the unpacking...

V

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fantastic!!

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable baby blanket! You made that in 2 weeks?? You are amazing!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Stell said...

some baby some where, and some time will really enjoy that blanket, it looks soft and sounds big enough to wrap up anyone in. Thanks for stopping by the blog - you asked about my fish blanket, well I've knit 109 fish, I've sewn up 91 but so far its only 23 by 22 inches, so - might need at least 4 times that or 6 times that. I'm thinking this is a 10 year project - the kind that make people go 'why?' :-D

 
At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blanket is fantastic!

 
At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord I remember those military moves, first as a single active duty mom of 1 then as wife with 4. I used to miss the moves and would get itchy feet after 3 yrs or so. After 15 yrs in one place I've accumulated to much to move now! Good luck finding stash places LOL
Love your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home