Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hibernation in summer?

I know, it's been quiet on my blog lately, but I haven't been hibernating or anything like this. After all, it's summer and not the right season for it. I have been knitting the whole time too, trust me, but since it's a test knit, there isn't really much I can show you, except more cables and maybe how the mountain of 17 balls of yarn is shrinking. So far I've gone through 9 balls of yarn and the main body (I guess you have figured out it's a sweater, duh) is almost done. You know what comes next, so I'm not going to get into it any further.


However, here is something I CAN show you:


Those are the Tubey socks from the book "Son of Stitch 'n Bitch" by Debbie Stoller. The pattern was designed by Claudia, who can also be found on Ravelry here. I knitted them with Knit Picks Risata in the color Buttermilk with Dusk and Sable as accent colors.
Otherwise I don't have much to show for at the moment. I've been looking for something small to knit in between, kinda like an instant gratification sort of thing, but can't seem to find anything in that direction either. It's just this heat here in Georgia (we had 95 degrees today), the weather, something, I just don't know. Maybe it's me working for a couple of hours a day, maybe it's the boys being out of school or just the upcoming move, but I can't seem to be more productive. So I tinker along on those cables every day, a couple of inches at a time, until it's done.
I'll be working until the end of this month and then we'll be getting ready for our next military move to Kentucky. I'm glad to get out of here. The south just doesn't seem to like me and it's going both ways. I've been here the second time now and don't like it any better than the first time. I'm actually looking forward to white Christmas and snow, but might curse the snow, the first time I have to shovel. But just think how much more my knitting will be appreciated in climate like this instead of here. :) Gotta find the good thing in every situation and right now I'm looking forward to getting there, just not so much the move, the house hunting and the setting up and finding a spot for all the junk we own and drag with us. Yard sale, here we go.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Hopefully you guys can get out of there soon. 95 isn't bad unless of course you're down in the south were it's humid. I remember my 2 years in Biloxi, MS....don't want to go back.

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love cables, but they do seem to suck the life out you some times. I still haven't gotten anything from KP yet. :-( Have fun with the yard sale. I love seeing stuff I don't want leave and my pockets filling with money!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Stell said...

Hi Angelika, thanks for the comment, Crook or what I think of as chain stitches, because 2 rows forms a little chain decoration, are part of twined knitting. Twined knitting is done with 2 yarns, usually the same colour and in the round, the yarns are twisted every stitch which changes the surface appearance of the knitting and give opportunity to put purl stitches and floats on the right side - hence the chain stitches. Is a traditional Swedish craft, which I'm playing with right now, there is a group on ravelry and a few books out there as well as workshops. When done in different colours - some really beautiful things can result.
Stella

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Tubey socks! Very practical and good looking.

Moving is always fun. Packing and unpacking? Not as much. But to have weather that likes knits!

Little project - dishcloths maybe? Practical and as complex or simple as you feel like knitting that day.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Monika said...

I hope for you, that you'll find something to knit in between all the hectic you have right now, with a full house, work, and KP knitting, as well as dealing with the upcoming move. Argh, hate moving.

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great socks! My hubby would probably love a pair of those.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hubby would probably wear those in a heartbeat! They are great!

Good luck with preparing for your move. I'm so jealous of the winter knits you'll be knitting *and* wearing.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

These are great socks. Sock knitters as a whole, and I include myself here, really undervalue a nice white sock with some stripes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home