Thursday, May 15, 2008

I have issues

Gauge issues that is. I am usually not the one that uses the same exact yarn as in the pattern. Well, one reason is that when I knit for Knit Picks, unless the original pattern calls for it, the yarn gets substituted with one of theirs. Duh, that's to be expected, since the whole point behind me knitting for them is to promote their yarns and to show that substitutions will work out just was well as knitting it with the "original" yarn.



Anyway. My issue is not with one of their patterns, it's with one that I'm actually knitting for me. Well, more for a friend of mine as a late, or maybe we can already say, early Christmas present. She requested a vest last Christmas. After searching for that perfect pattern I decided to make the Veste Everest by Veronik Avery from the IK Fall 2005 issue. I found the perfect yarn on last months WEBS sale and went for RYC Cashsoft DK. Choosing the right size seemed to be a problem for me, since the size I needed, was not exactly in the pattern. So I have to figure out a "in between" size. Therefore I had two choices. Bigger pattern and smaller needles or smaller pattern and bigger needles. Since I know that I knit a little loose, I went for the smaller needles. Eeeenk. Wrong answer. After knitting through about half a ball of yarn I had to figure out that I had a perfect gauge for the size I was NOT going for. So ripping I went. Now I'm going for door number 2: smaller pattern, normal needles. I knit up the yarn I ripped out before and it seems to be working in my favor. The best part about it, it's two whole repeats less, which is 24 stitches. That should speed up things a bit.


And since I sent out my last KP test knit beginning of this week, I got a new on in my e-mail box today. Contract is signed, yarn is ordered therefore stay tuned for new sneak peaks at the yarn. Until then I'll have to knit a little faster on the vest, before I have to decide which one has priority.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Anne K. said...

You're a braver woman than I am, Angelika, making something where gauge really makes a difference! I think I avoid making sweaters and vests for that very reason - it's such a crapshoot!! Will look forward to seeing the progress.

Thanks for not forgetting my blog -- I'm really enjoying being back!

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The veste everest looks good. I've been thinking about it myself. Isn't it nice that you can use gauge to change the size of a garment?

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well! I know you're going to get it right though!

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh those in between sizes can be such a crapshoot. I'm sure with your talent though, it will turn out beautiful!

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speeding up is a good thing. Gauge! Gah! I'm sure it'll be gorgeous.

And congrats on your next test knit! Looking forward to the bits & pieces until it's published.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home