Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Recent accomplishments and more yarn

OK, here are some nicer shots of the tumbling blocks baby blanket I finished the other day. I was all excited about this project at first, lost interest in it for a while, found any excuse to knit/ crochet anything else instead, but finally have it done. I hope the kid has not enrolled in school yet. :) I had a teddy bear model for me on this one.

It's made with three different shades of Bernat Softee Baby, you know, the big balls of acrylic yarn you can find at Walmart. I used a size G (4mm) hook for it. The three rows of border made a nice finish to it and seem to pull it all together.

Next is a quicky test knit for Knit Picks in between. I started on it so quickly and had it done in only a couple of days, so I didn't even get to take a yarn shot. Here is a little peek. It will be in the November catalog.
This is what my favorite UPS guy brought me yesterday. Isn't it yummy? 9 different colors of Knit Picks Palette.

This is going to be another "smallish" project for them and will be in the September Catalog. I've been asking for little things to knit, because I didn't want to commit to anything major, since we will be moving soon (how many times have I mentioned that now?) and I didn't want to have to stop unpacking boxes to meet the deadline for a knitting project.
It's shocking, but I actually swatched for this one. Well, I have to do this for my test knits all the time and since I know myself as a loose knitter, I have to go down one needle size on this one two. The designer recommends a size 4 to get 8 stitches per inch. I, as you might be able to see, only get between 6 and 7. Now I switched to a 3mm needle instead (don't have a 3.25 in my stash) and we'll see how this works out.

On other news the Veste Everest was soaking this morning and is rolled up in a towel as we speak/type. Once I'm done with this post I'll torture the poor thing and stretch it to size to block it. Then I only have to add the edging for the neck and sleeves and it'll be done. I absolutely love the yarn I've used. It's RY Cashsoft DK and it's a dream to knit. If it ever goes on sale again (I got this one at Webs), I'll have to stock up on it. I'll post pics of Everst when I'm done with it.

Now back to swatching and blocking.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the tumbling blocks is really cute! I still haven't gotten any test knit offers but I'm glad you're getting littles ones that fit into your moving schedule. Yippee for moving!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Yarnhog said...

I just got some cashsoft dk in the Jimmy Beans Wool sale section (there's still some left, jimmybeanswool.com). I haven't tried it yet, but it does seem nice.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

The baby blanket looks awesome. Can't wait to see your test knits.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I love the blanket! Your new test knit looks fun. That's great they are accomadating your current availability.

 
At 3:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo Geli,

jetzt muss ich mich coch auch wieder mal bei dir melden! Mensch, wo hast du denn die ganze Zeit her, um all diese schlnen Sachen zu machen? Laufen bei euch die Uhren anders? Die Babydecke finde ich besonders schön! Du fehlst mir als Häkeltante....

Liebe Grüße
Karin

 
At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The tumbling blocks are very cool - it's one of my favorite quilt patterns and looks great as knits.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Monika said...

The baby blanket looks lovely. I didn't like my Cashsoft, but I think it was faulty. I hate swatching! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home