Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Lace Style

Guess what I got in the mail the other day? Well, the title gave it away, I guess. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm excited to tell you about this book I ordered from the destash blog. The couple of pages I saw on knitpicks and then in the last catalog ensured me, that I made a good choice buying this book. I couldn't wait to dig through it and I found lots of nice things I'd like to knit. I might not necessarily wear them all, but I'm sure I'd find some takers/victims for my desire to knit. The jacket on the front cover as well as the lace-edged corset on the back are already on my to do list. Unfortunately my camera didn't have enough "juice" to take more pictures of the different projects, but I'm sure you have seen some of them.
Don't worry, I'm not going to throw the woolly rainbow sweater into the corner and pull out the lace needles. I'm still knitting along on it and only one more pattern repeat, which means half a "rainbow" and it's decision time again. I'm going to get to the neckline and I have to figure out how to knit that. I'll try the steek, like Laurie did, but if that doesn't work, I guess a couple of rows back and forth don't hurt? Or do they? I never did fair isle in rows, but then I never did fair isle like this before anyway, what am I saying. :) I'm just proud I made it that far.
Also, if you need some help with spinning, like my friend Keri did, check out Erica's blog. She put together a tutorial on predrafting 101 for brand new spinners and now I know why my drop spindle hasn't seen the light of day in a while and I still have a piece of a sheep somewhere in my closet. I might just pull it out and finish it off soon (that didn't sound right, did it?)

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

oooooo, i've been wanting that book! i have to check out the destash blog more often for good deals like that ;)

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Erica said...

I'm still debating on whether to get that book or not. I probably just should go ahead and do it. ;)

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Marina said...

Hope you don't mind if I gave you a bit of advice if you're doing steeks at the neckline ...

Figure it out a few rows before you reach the point where they tell you to do it.

You only reduce one stitch at a time when you have a steek. With my Dales, I compensated by making the neck a bit deeper (started a few rows earlier). I also might have put a couple of extra stitches on the waste yarn or stitch holder.

After all the little adjustments, I still ended up with the same number of stitches for the shoulder as the pattern. Also picked up the same number of stitches for the neckband as per instructions.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh yay! Another FI lover!

A steek is a great idea, I think you should have no problems. Marina has given great advice - just plan ahead, going by how many stitches you need to end up with for the shoulders, and where they indicate you need to start the neckline and voila! No trouble at all. And believe me - a lot less trouble than back and forth!

Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog, by the way!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! Your book finally came! Took long enough. =)

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got that book too! So many things to knit....

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Lace Style book. I'd really like to knit the Katherine Hepburn cardigan eventually. I can't wait to see if you knit any patterns from that book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home