Sunday, May 27, 2007

Knitting Steeks

I can't believe I'm knitting the steeks. It's not as hard as I expected it to be. To be honest, it's kinda fun getting to either side of the sweater and knowing, that I'm half way around again. See for yourself:


Now, the professional Fair Isle knitter will see right away, that further down the line I'm going to run into a problem. Well, the problem is, that knitting the medium size of the sweater gives me an uneven (11) number of repeats going around. Therefore the pattern on either side of the steek is different. So that would mean that my shoulder seams won't match up when I get to the top. Am I right, Marina? You are my idol in this technique and you would have probably noticed this right away. I'm new to this and didn't catch it, until I did the steeks. But you know what? I'm not going to worry about it until I get to the shoulders and even then, I'm not going to loose too much sleep because of it. I still love the sweater, even if the shoulders don't match up.

After reading this blog and the dilemma she ran into, I had to put the point protectors onto the needle and slip into the knitted hose. (Excuse the blurry pic, but the camera doesn't like to focus in the mirrow and the mirrow wasn't windex clean either)


Great, it fits and we don't have any further problem in that department. At least I did good with the swatch, which I usually like to skip, but thought of being essential for a project like this. Good thinking. So, now I'm going to knit along for another color repeat, before I will tackle the problem of the neck steek. Laurie is my guinea pig for this sweater and she already finished the body. The pattern doesn't call for steeks, it rather tells you to knit back and forth, but we won't listen to this. So just to keep it interesting (especially for a first FI piece for me) we had to try our own version. I'm sure we will succeed. Don't you? Doesn't look so bad so far.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Wow, looks great! Can't wait to see more. Much braver than I. Steeks scare me senseless.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Marina said...

It doesn't matter that the pattern on either side of the armhole steek don't match. With your arm down, no one is going to notice.

What is important is that you centered the pattern in the front and back.

Just because you have an odd number of repeats, doesn't mean that the shoulders automatically won't match. Lots of designs have that one or more rows where it will match. If you can find it or can't end on that row, fudge! Or ignore!

Lovely!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Theoretic Gal said...

Looks great Angelika.
I also adhere to the 3-foot rule with minor knitting/sewing dilemma's. If it isn't noticable from 3 feet away I don't really need to correct the slight error unless it is going to make the item unuseable for it's intended purpose?

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

WOW!

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

HOLY COW! That is looking gorgeous! It's fun to watch the process you're going through even if it may be stressing you out a bit. Thank goodness for Marina, huh?

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger nuttnbunny said...

Really admired this pattern when it came out. Can only aspire to such bold loveliness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home