Monday, May 14, 2007

I'm hooked

Well, what can I say, I'm starting to enjoy the fair isle knitting. I'm finally done with the first repeat in color/second repeat in pattern. Sounds funny, I know, but looking at the picture you'll know what I'm talking about.







There are at least three more repeats just like this one by the time the body is done. Wow. The bottom looks a little bumpy in real life, but it's getting better all the time. I just don't know if anybody holds the yarn the way I do. I hold the background color in my left hand, like the regular continental knitting, and then pull the pattern yarn out from underneath and wrap it around one stitch at a time, like the way Americans knit, just with the left hand also. I know I'm weird and if you didn't know it by now, well, I am. Hey, any which way it works is fine with me. Now this is really going to be a itch, warm and somewhat heavy sweater. Just what I need here in Georgia, right? Well, like so many other things, I love the sweater anyway, I love the pattern and for me it's mainly the journey, that I enjoy. I can still wear it instead of a jacket in winter time, I guess, but surely there has to be a long sleeve turtleneck underneath.

Also, here is something I found in my local library today. I've looked at the spine of the book a couple of times before, but never bothered to pull it out of the shelve until today. And now I can't believe I never noticed it.





It's "Sweaters from Camp" and it has 38 of the most gorgeous fair isle patterns in it. I had to take it home. I was going to give you all a sneak peak of some of my favorite patterns, but unfortunately the battery on my camera gave up on me. Partially, because there were so many I liked. I might just put that book on my wish list, but maybe I should finish the first Fair Isle sweater first, before I get all carried away with it.


Oh yes, the other one with the Barbie crochets just had to come home with me too. Not like I have a single Barbie doll in my house, but I'm just thinking of one more thing how to use up all those little balls of yarn rolling around in my leftover basket. Those would be so perfect for it. So if I'm tired of the big sweater and I need a quick fix and instant gratification I'll just pick up that book and a crochet book and go to town with it. Who knows what I'll come up with. You'll definitely know, because I'll blog about it.

So anyway, here are some of the pictures I was talking about:



Sorry for the blur, but since the camera's batteries were low I just snapped away and didn't wait for the focus. But you can still see the image somewhat.

This is, by the way, what I woke up to on Sunday morning.


In case you are wondering, it's coffee, a glass of Gatorade, dry fruit loops, two slices of very light toast, one of them in heart shape, strawberry yogurt and two chocolate suckers, which I bought for the boys to give to me so I could give them back to them. Did you follow that last part? It was sweet of them and they even got up at 6 am on a Sunday morning and those are the same boys that take forever to get out of bed on a school day! Also, I appreciated that they didn't try to set my kitchen on fire. :)

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your fair isle is beautiful! Hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I am beyond impressed with your fair isle! Some day... some day... I'll give it a go. Some day.

Love the Mother's Day breakfast!
:)

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Erica said...

It's gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see more.

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Kathleen in Ormond Beach said...

Fruit loops! My favourite ;)

Can't wait to see more of the sweater - the colours look great together so far!!

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Marina said...

Looks great, Angelika! Those bumps - which I can't see - will come out in the blocking.

Ack! I didn't want to know what was in that book! If there's anything in there you absolutely had to make, figure out the yarn NOW. Some of them will be gone soon.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful! Great job!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

BEAUTIFUL. I love the color combinations of your fair isle!

Looks like Mothers Day was great! How sweet of your boys!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

It's all about the colours. They blend so nice together. Looks good so far.a

 
At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wird super, das Teil! Die Muttertagslutscher sind echt urig! So was gibt es nur im Amiland...
LG Kari

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Julie said...

That is the most delicious breakfast I have ever seen -- because it was made from love. You have some great boys who truly love their mother.

And that sweater - wowza - it's gorgeous! I like what you said about it being the journey you love and you're not making it out of necessity. You are an inspiration.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Soooo sweet!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home