Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Semi Finished Object

This one is for Marina. I did it! I cut it, I finished the steeks and almost finished my Fair Isle sweater. All I need to do now is tuck in the beard and sew the sleeve steeks down and I'm done. Here is a picture documentary:
The cut of the machine reinforced steek.

The inside of it.
The arm steek.
The almost finished sweater in the blurry bathroom mirror.

Aren't you all proud of me? I finished my first real Fair Isle sweater, steeks and all. I still like the color and knitting was fun, but ....

Yes, here it comes, the but of the story. I don't like the scratchy yarn and I wish I would have made it a size bigger. Given the fact that there has to be clothing worn under this sweater it is fitting somewhat snug. Also, if you can tell, the sleeves could have used another inch in length. But it's too late to change that. There is NO WAY that I will take out one single stitch on this sweater. I rather give it up to someone that deserves it and appreciates all the work that went into it. Hey, it was a learning experience for me. I don't know why I was afraid of cutting into my knitting. Well, yeah, it sounds really scary, but after having my sweater under the presser foot of my sewing machine, nothing scared me anymore. Not even the scissors coming towards all those stitches, soon to be cut into two pieces.

What could be the next challenge awaiting me? Who knows. For now I have to finish the doily, I will swatch the merino/silk once more before Friday with a 2.5 mm to see the difference and another Knit Picks project is on the way to me. The other one should be printed in the September catalog, the next one then in October.

Happy knitting

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the sweater - the colors are so lovely. I know what you mean about scratchy yarns though.

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Oh what a lovely sweater! You've truly done a fantastic job, and you know it's all a learning experience. At least that's how I view things. So now you'll know what to do differently next time. And in the meantime you've overcome your fear of steeking and you've created a beautiful sweater. Congrats!

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger LaurieM said...

Your sweater looks great and I'm very proud of you for following through with those steeks.

If you can get your hands on some shetland wool, try knitting a Fair Isle design in it. I found it to be a lot of work (fingering weight), but well worth the effort (soft, beautiful colors, light and warm).

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Marina said...

Bravo, Angelika! You did good and made me proud of you.

See, steeks are not scary and it is a great technique to know. The sweater is gorgeous.

Have you blocked it? Perhaps you could gain and inch or so in the body and sleeves?

I think you should do a Starmore next in fingering. It's not that much bigger a commitment ;-)

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Sue J. said...

I love the sweater. Great job. I agree that a Starmore should be in your future. Not only do they have sweaters, but the most gorgeous baby blankets I have ever seen.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on the sweater - it looks fab on you!

 
At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Klasse! Der nächste Winter kommt bestimmt!
LG Karin

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Brigitte said...

Hi Angelika! Thanks for your comments on my blog (oh yes, there was tzatziki...)!

Yay, another Fair Isler! Steeks aren't so bad, and I agree with Marina, next up is a Starmore project.

It's beautiful! I know it, but I can't put my finger on it! What design is it?

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! Your sweater looks great, and you made it through the steek cutting! What a total bummer that it doesn't fit. Have you blocked it yet? You might be surprised how much good a nice soak and block could do. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Windyridge said...

Would you be willing to sell the pattern? After much searching I discovered the magazine that it is from is out of print.

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very pretty! Fantastic job Angelika. You should be so proud of it even if you don't like the fit.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Verona said...

Love it! Ja und vielleicht koennte ich die Anleitung auch haben??? Bitte!

Schaut toll aus und die Farben sind ne Wucht. Karin hat recht der naechste Winter kommt bestimmt!

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

What a beautiful sweater! Bummer about the scratchiness though .. that sucks! Don't be so hard on yourself for not making it the perfect size or sleeve length. After all, it is your first fair isle and it's really beautiful.

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Erica said...

It's beautiful!!! I am so scared of steeks, so I bow down to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home