Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Weeding through the stash

Today I was weeding through my stash. Why? I was searching for the perfect yarn to cast on a chevron scarf. I got the book with the pattern from the library so I could get started. So off I went and dug out every piece of yarn I could find in the house. I dumped them all out on the floor and started sifting through and put them back into the boxes and bins. May I present the result?

Handspun yarn compliments of Rachel (shoebox), leftovers (plastic bin), various yarns in multiple skeins of each color (big box), acrylics (basket), unknown (small box), fun fur (bag in front of basket), cashmere (zip lock) sock yarn (laundry basket) oh, and behind the knitting machine is another plastic box with various yarns I brought from Germany. Remember, you can only see the tip of the iceberg or in this case the top of the box and they aren't stuffed with paper either.

After putting all my organisational skills to work I still didn't know what to use for the scarf. I made one out of sock yarn, matching his mittens and socks, for my little one before. He wore the heck out of the mittens and the socks, but was complaining that the scarf was itchy. I think it was just not soft enough, so I'm leaning towards the "others" instead of the sock yarn. I'm even thinking of mixing up different yarns and giving the pattern a new twist. I guess I'll sleep on it, work on my doily, research steeks a little more, try to get over the fear of cutting into my sweater and give it another try tomorrow.

7 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Ooooh! I just love stash pictures!

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Sue J. said...

I think the idea of mixing yarns is very intriguing. I'll be anxious to see what you choose. You may start a whole new trend. Lovely stash. I, too, love stash pictures.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hast du nicht noch was von der Baumwoll-Sockenwolle? Ich denke, die kratzt nicht....
Respekt, Respekt, was du da alles so gesammelt hast. Kannst ja bald nen Laden aufmachen, grins.

Liebe Grüße
Karin

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Cheryl in AZ said...

Oh I admire you for going ahead and at least dumping it all out and going through it. It is what I have been wanting to do for a while now... but alas, I also want to wait until my DH is not going to be around for a day or so. I think he would cringe. Of course I must do the same for all my counted cross stitch stash - and that is even scarier.

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! That is a lot of yarn! Does it inspire you to make even more projects?!

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going through your stash is scary, isn't it? I went through mine recently, and wondered when the hell I'll ever be able to find time to knit it all. But I keep buying more yarn. So silly.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Verona said...

Beachtlicher Schwung an Wolle. ich habe meine Wollsammlung kuerzlich ausgeduennt, und sehr vieles her gegeben. Natuerlich musste ich dann gleich zum Ausverkauf bei Knitwitz gehen und einkaufen. Man hat ja sonst kein Hobby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home