Saturday, September 15, 2007

Braided Shawl

OK, today is the official kick off to the Flechtmustertuch KAL, a German Knitalong for a triangular Shawl with a braided border. That's why I just refer to it as the braided shawl.



I really hated to wait for the official start ,..... so I didn't. Come on, bare with me. The pattern is there, the yarn is there, the needles are just waiting and the only thing holding me back is a number in the calender? Sorry, I have no self control in this case. Everything else just seemed boring at the time so I decided to get a head start, even though this is not a race, I know. Anyway, I think I have the boring part out of the way. See, the main body of the shawl is knitted in garter stitch, which doesn't knit up as fast as plain stockinette, since I have a tendency to poke into the stitch of the row below. Major factor, if you are used to not having to look at your knitting, when it's only knit stitches. So anyway, after getting all the shoulder increases out of the way the rest of it was very mindless. 4 increases every other row until you reach 345 stitches. Wow, I didn't think I had to start on the third ball of yarn before I even got to the eyelet row. So now I'm there and my brain gets in the way. What? Yes, my brain. I read the pattern and it seems logic at first. Then I read it again, and again, and the train of thoughts is winding it's way around a couple of corners until it's so tangled up that it doesn't make any sense at all anymore. Hmmm. So now I'm stuck for a while, parked on the side of the road, waiting for the rest of the pack to come help me out unless I concentrate on something else for a while, take a breather and then try to read it again. I know it's doable, it's probably very simple, but I'm just stuck in the wrong gear. So here is the a picture of a baby blue blob bunched up on a cable needle, waiting for the next step.



Also, I wanted to let you know that I got tagged by Tammy. I haven't forgotten about it yet but I'll have to sit down and think of what interesting 8 things I have to offer. That might take a while.....

Another thing that was very interesting for me this week was, that I got an email from a knitter in Malaysia that is reading my blog. How cool is that. Makes me feel like I'm a some kind of celebrity, even though I only have about 30ish subscribers. Still, I have a fan club and I'm so proud that that many people think what I do is interesting enough for them to check in with me every once in a while. Thank you so much. Blogland has given me a whole bunch of new cyber friends. (Let me dwell in this for a while and I'll get back to you later).

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Marina said...

Remind me not to participate in a KAL with you ;-)

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Sue J. said...

I'm with you. If I have all the supplies, there's no way I can wait for a start day for a KAL. I always start early.
I'm so glad people read your blog because you are an excellent knitter. Come on, would KP be using you if you weren't? I am always eager to see what you have OTN. Just as I will be anxious to see how this shawl progresses. Have a terrific weekend.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Monika said...

Thank god I had tons of other stuff to knit right up to the starting date. Now I'm even more scared of the braided part than I was before! I'm shortly before the last shoulder increases. I too poke into the loop of the previous row a lot. Darn! It's slow going and so boring, that my eyes fall shut while knitting. I don't subscribe to blogs, I just go and visit. If the light bulb comes on regarding the braided part, pleas take pictures of the progress, so I can pump you for info later! ;o)

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm a fan of your blog! It's cool to have people from around the world reading it, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home