Sunday, November 18, 2007

Quick Fix

I was on the search for a pattern for my fingerless mittens swap partner and dug around in the new IK Winter issue.
I found the Kilm Gloves, but wanted to make them without fingers. Also with less colors. I found the left over yarn from the Knit Picks Fair Isle Sweater from a couple of month ago. I had to put the grey (sweater) and the blue yarn (lace) down so I would get a change of scenery. Did I really? This is what I pulled out. Grey and blue. Again.


After a few adjustments in patterning, you can see I changed the cuff and the cross turned into a star, I came up with this:


Now comes the other dilemma. They are too tight to fit a grown person. So I was debating to either rip them down to the cuff and reknit on a bigger needle or find a suitable victim. Also, my swap partner lives in New Mexico, so 100 % wool might not be so suitable for that kind of climate. My older son liked them so I decided to finish mitten #1 and cast on mitten # 2. I might have them done by tomorrow. Don't hate me, please, but when I get into a project, especially a small one like that, it can go fast. I'll see if I can find something new in sock yarn or a single layer pattern for my swap partner. We'll see. Plus I need to keep the suspense up for her and wouldn't want to blow it by posting about it online. :D. I know, I'm so mean.



Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Marina said...

Ugh! Blogger just ate my comment :-( Let's see if I can do this again!

Love the mitten. That's what I would have done. I never rip when especially when there are "victims" to pass things on to.

Congrats on getting on the cover. They're lovely!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Cindy, aka Maxfun said...

They're beautiful! No need to apologize for being fast --- uh, wait, I didn't mean for that to sound dirty! Let's remember the context here, people! :)

Anyway, it gets cold in New Mexico with snow and everything, so I wouldn't worry about them not being worn. :)

 
At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say what Cindy said. They're beautiful and don't rip them, they're done! Practically.

And that NM might be hotter than blazes in the summer but it gets COLD in the winter. It snows in Albuquerque, so the wool is probably fine for the climate.

I really like how you tweaked the pattern.

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful changes to the pattern!

Thank goodness there are all different size hands!

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Heike said...

Oh ja - die Handschuhe habe ich mir auch schon näher angesehen! Ich bin gespannt, wie sie in Deinen Farben aussehen werden.

Viele Grüße von Heike

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Sue J. said...

Beautiful! I wish I had your speed and talent with knitting. But I continue to be inspired by your lovely work. I don't blame you for not posting the swap piece. We'll just have to wait to see it.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

They look awesome.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Monika said...

Well, they look nothing like the ones from IK mag, but yours a much prettier. I like the color combo. I can't believe how fast you are! Shaking my head in wonder.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Katie B said...

Your Fingerless Mitts for Fall swap partner here--congrats on having your work published! You are so talented! Also--you ARE keeping me in suspense! I'm waiting on my Knit Picks order, then I'm starting your mitts right away. Hint: the pattern is from a back issue of IK. I also wanted to let you know that wool would be fine for my mitts. I live in northern NM in the mountains (at 7000 feet!) and the winters are cold here! I'm excited about this swap! --Katie

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I love how you changed that pattern. It's brilliant! Definitely don't rip them out. You must know someone they'd fit.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger kasiaiscarly said...

Those mitts are georgous. Thanks for the compliment on my endpapers :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home