Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Cheating on the needles

I have to admit it, it's my fault. I think I got Keri hooked on a new addiction: Quilting. Don't hate me, I'm sure we can all get along. Just kidding. We spent a nice girls night out (with the exception of one male dog) and got started on a quilt top. After digging through a bunch of books and ordering fabric we did the first cut yesterday. I'm so proud, I feel like a mentor. Hi, hi. I tought myself from books like over 10 years ago and it wasn't pretty. Where were the rulers, mats, rotary cutters and so on? Well, they were here in the states while I was in Germany. Go figure! I cut the first quilt with sciccors from traced templates! I guess you get the picture. Now I'm glad to show somebody little tricks I had to find out through books and mostly trial and error.

Keri decided on a rail fence pattern for a comfy lap quilt. Good choice. Not too hard, but still a good size piece to work on. And just think of all the fun it's going to be snuggling up under that quilt, while you are working on it! When she gets to the quilting part it will give me an excuse to pull out my long neglected friendship start quilt, which is still awaiting some more quilting. I'm 1/4 done with it, have the binding waiting for it and all, but it was banned into the UFO closet for the longest. For some reason I knit a lot more when I'm in Germany and due to a lack of being able to find good affordable sockyarn I get back into quilting, when I get back to the states. It's interesting, don't you think? When I have a chance or a reason to I'll dig out the quilt and show off my progress on it. Just excuse the bus driver wheel size hoop on it.

For now it's back to my baby booties and then we'll see what's next. It's starting to get cold around here, even if this area is called "The South". My heater is already kicking for the second day. What does that mean? More knitting!!!

3 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a great teacher, and a wiz at the rotary cutter!

I definitely need more practice. After I finish the frilly scarf I'm off to cut more squares!

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Erica said...

You should have hooked her on the fabric while she was still working on the stole. That way we wouldn't look like such slackers! :)

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Joanna said...

You and Keri are so lucky to be able to craft together--such fun! I'm jealous. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home