Friday, January 19, 2007

Out of necessity

Can you guess what this is?


This is what me and my son came up with out of necessity. It's a generic yarn swift made of KNEX! I'm not quite done with my second ball of yarn for the Rona Lace yet, but since my son had to take a time out from his computer games and had nothing better to do, we constructed a yarn swift for me. How do you like it? It's not very stable and it got taken apart again after I was done winding my ball and used for something else, but it did the job. Next time I will try one made from LEGO. I've seen a winder made of lego on somebodies blog and I thought that was cool.


Next is a picture of what I started on two days ago. Since the temperatures started dropping here to nearly freezing (no more capris for me for now) I desided to give the traditional hat from Bea Ellis a try. I guess I'm not doing so bad, but I need some more practice on the tention. I still think it looks pretty even and my husband or one of my boys is going to be the victim for this project. I guess I'll have to make another one, before the weather warms up again. After all it's january and I'm used to other temperatures around this time, so this is nothing for me.

8 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Erica said...

What a cool swift! I love it.

The hat also looks great. I want to try one of those hats, one of these days...

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a little genius your son is!! That is too cool!!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Great swift!! He's my kind of boy. That hat is so pretty.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great creative way to make a swift, too bad it wasn't permanent =)

The hat looks great, I love the colors you're using.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I love the yarn swift! This is the beginning of an inventor in the making, mark my words. And that hat is gorgeous - I wish I could be someone's victim for something as beautiful as that!

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ich freu mich schon auf den Legoswift, tolle Muetze,
Liebe Gruesse, Anja

 
At 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that's a cool idea! Much better than using the back of a chair, or a family member as a swift. I don't know how I lived without mine. You know, joann.com has them for about $60, and if you wait for one of their 50% coupons, you can get a swift for $30. They make knitting life so much easier.

The Bea Ellis hat is lovely.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

oh my gosh thats great! love the lego idea too ;) you guys muct have had fun doing that together :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home