Monday, November 27, 2006

New Stitches

Stitches of a different kind that is. In honor of all of our deployed and soon to be deployed soldiers I made up some service flags. I will put them on consignment in our local craft and souvenir shop. For all of those of you who don't know (some of them are actually military wives and they don't know) the flag is supposed to be displayed in times of war by households with an immediate family member in the service. Each star represents an enlisted family member.

Cutting an sewing the pieces was a snap, it was the star that gave me a headache. I tried any kind of applique and nothing worked for me. The bulk of the seam allowance on that tight of a point just didn't want to be sewn. So I decided to cheat. I reinforced the fabric with stuff to make it stop fraying and cut out the star, underlayed it with iron on and slapped it in the center. Looks good, doesn't it? I'm kinda proud of myself. Now I just want to see what people think in the shop and if they sell. I hope so. After all, there are enough of our boys down there.

Next sewing project might be a rag quilt, another fun and fast project. To be continued .....

4 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

it looks great.....

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Marina said...

Very clever!

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I am one of those military wives who doesn't know about these sort of flag things.

It turned out great, you are very talented!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Erica said...

It turned out great! I was thinking what might be fun is a patchwork one. Hope they sell for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home