Sunday, December 10, 2006

Quick update

I just wanted to update you guys what was going on here real quick.

First the knitting related things. I (almost) finished the first of my cable gloves. Yes, it's going to be gloves again. That's why they are ALMOST finished. I had to check back with the receipiant about what preferences she has and now we know and I can work on them again. In the meantime I started on the matching scarf with a diamond lace pattern, that is very easy to remember and I've done one of those before with thicker yarn and only 2 instead of 3 repeats of the pattern across.

The other cool thing about yesterday was, that I got my christmas tree. I want a real one and have only seen one place here in town where they sold them. So I went there and backed up quickly when I saw the prices. I needed something a little bit taller than me (I'm 5'9") and I was planning on putting some presents under it with some of the money I had left, but that wouldn't have been possible unless I was going for a Charley Brown tree. I came back home all disappointed. I gave it another try later in the afternoon and my helpful neighbors pointed me in the direction of a christmas tree farm. After so many turns and side roads and a final sign "Don't give up, you're almost there" I found the place. I thought I was going to pick one and get on my way, but that was not the case. I was handed a pair of gloves and a saw!!! Imagine my surpise? I never did this before but the woman I am, I saw not much of a problem in that. The hardest part was to find the perfect tree for us. It was almost harder than choosing a husband. After walking up and down the field for an hour, trying to remember where the heck the other nice tree just disappeared to that I had my eye on, I finally made my desition and - TIMBER - I cut my first tree, all by myself. I wish I had my family with me (and my camera for that matter), but they were at home with a stomach flu. I was so excited about my tree and my Jeep smelled so wonderful on the way home that I turned my radio to any station that played christmas tunes. Hmm, the holidays. Now I'm finally getting in the mood and after I put on all the lights (only 300 whites) the kids helped hanging the ornaments. I also put up the mistle toe they gave me for free. Sweet. Now I still have to tackle the outside lights sometime this week and we'll be somewhat set. Wait, I think I forgot the presents. Darned, I knew there was something I forgot!! Gotta go run and get some of those too, I guess.

I know this was not knitting related, but it was fun to share with you.

8 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun way to get a christmas tree!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Erica said...

All by yourself? Wow, that's pretty awesome!

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! You're such a pioneer :) I looooove having fresh-tree small all over the house, too.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Marina said...

That sounds like fun! Something I've only seen in the movies ;-)

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family used to go to a Christmas tree farm every year to get our tree. We'd traipse through the snow to find the one that was just right, then watch as my dad cut it down, and we'd drag it back on a sled to have it bundled up. Those are such nice memories.
This year is the first year in my entire life that I've had a fake Christmas tree, and it's just not the same. I think it's great that you went out and cut down your own. Nothing like the smell of fresh cut pine to bring on the Christmas spirit!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Tami said...

Great story, I enjoyed reading your adventure cutting down a tree.
You will always remeber that experience.

Your cabled gloves are looking good.

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ja, da ist die Geli unter die Holzfällerbuam gegangen, hihi. Ich weiß, wie das ist, sich aus so einer Baumschonung einen rauszusiúchen. Da denkt man, man hätte sich einen gemerkt und dann findet man ihn nicht mehr....
Wünsche dir mal vorsorglich fröhliche Weihnachten!!
LG Karin

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo Angelika,
ich habe auch noch nie einen Weihnachtsbaum selbst geschlagen, das ist ja eine tolle Geschichte.
Und ich sehe, dass Du auch die Stulpen nach Petra strickst. Ich finde sie sitzen perfekt. Euch allen noch eine schöne Adventszeit und wundervolle Weihnachten mit dem tollen Baum, ich hoffe der Weihnachtsmann legt ganz viele Geschenke unter ihn.
Grüße
Angelika

 

Post a Comment

<< Home