Friday, March 09, 2007

It is finally done!

Believe it or not, but my Kimono Shawl from Cheryl Oberle's book Folk Shawls is finally done. It took long enough. A five hour trip in the car finally made me finish it up. I was about to give up and only make 20 instead of 25 repeats of the pattern, but I stuck with it. Aren't you guys proud of me?

Now it's blocking on the floor and I'm happy to say that all the kinks from this being recycled yarn are literally washed away. I stretched it to 24 inches wide and about 72 inches long. I know I should have blocked the edges with a string, but didn't think I wanted to do this when it was wet. Plus I knitted this with cashmere and it was already pretty fragile while I was knitting it, so I don't know how well it would have taken to haven a string running through the edges in it's wet stage.

Now I still have lots of this cashmere left and have to figure out what to do with it. I love to knit with it and I love the lace shawls, but I don't even know if I'll wear all of them. I think this one will be one that I'll actually put on but now draped around the shoulders as much as worn around my neck like a regular scarf.

On another note we just came back from a little family trip to Sea World, Orlando and Busch Gardens in Tampa. Unfortunately my planned shopping trip for the third day had to be scrubbed, since the Army said so and we had to be back asap. Instead of getting to spend a little more time with me and the boys here at home my husband had to go back to work. This sucks, but I guess that's just one more thing we military wives have to put up with. I think you'll see a lot more knitting and other crafts here on my blog in the future, since I will be having a lot of spare time. We just have to hang in there like the rest of them and make the best of it and hope for a save return.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Well I'll be thinking of you - it's not easy, and you have to be strong. Strength in knitting! There you go!

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Erica said...

The shawl is beautiful in red!

Hang in there! I'm always here to talk when the going gets rough. :)

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger Petra said...

Der Schal sieht toll aus.
Das mit dem Urlaub kenne ich auch und mein Mann ist nicht bei der Armeec ;-). In der Zeit, in der wir in USA gelebt haben, war ich schon auf gepackten Koffern zu Hause gesessen, nur um dann einen Anruf mit "Wir können doch nicht" zu bekommen.

Liebe Grüsse
Petra

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Marina said...

I recently bought that book because of that shawl ;-)

It's gorgeous! Personally, I think those rectangles are the most practical.

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow wunderschoener Schal! Ich habe immer noch keinen Lace Schal angefangen, mich hat quilten voll in Beschlag genommen und nebenher stricke ich meine Socken, liebe Gruesse, Anja

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I know exactly how you feel on the husband front. Like Erica said, if you need to talk to get through this, I'm here, too. It always helps to be able to talk to others who are in the same situation. My thoughts are with you, because I know firsthand how hard it is.

The Kimono shawl looks fabulous! I bet you're happy to have it finished, and I do hope you get a chance to wear it. I'm not much of a shawl-wearer, either, but I do enjoy knitting them.

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful!!

Sorry about the unexpected Army interruption. You military people have to deal with so much. Thanks from this nonmilitary person!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Gorgeous shawl! Great job hanging in there-I'm sure it's going to be sooo worth it.

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your red shawl is gorgeous Angelika!! I can't imagine the softness (I've never knit with pure cashmere)

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Too bad I don't have a computer monitor with "touch-vision". I can just image your shawl is soooo soft. It's Gorgeous!

Bummer about your trip being cut.

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It turned out gorgeous! Lucky you to have a nice cozy cashmere shawl - in 80 degree weather, right? ;)

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo Angelika,
der Schal sieht ganz wunderbar aus und ich muss mir das Buch jetzt endlich auch mal kaufen; das ist jetzt entschieden.
Viele Grüße aus dem sonnigen Freising.
Angelika

 

Post a Comment

<< Home